Sunday, November 6, 2011

Hi everyone!

I am also a student from Slovakia and my major is English language and literature and our Slovak language and literature. To be completely honest I decided to study both languages mainly because of literature, not because of the language (no, not a fan of grammar).

My first interest in English came with music. I love all kinds of art, but music and literature the most. I translated lyrics of my favorite bands (such as Nightwish, which was pretty difficult at that time when I had basically no proficiency level). The very core of my vocabulary was built on this material.

Now something about me and literature... I am not able to identify when precisely my love for written word has started. I read tons of books for children and among my favorites were The Three Investigators series. Then there was the serious classical literature at secondary high school and my brilliant teacher who supported my passion for reading and writing as well. My most favorite author now is Junot Díaz and I am writing my MA thesis about his books Drown and The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Díaz in Prague and it was purely awesome. Another favourites of mine are Toni Morrison, G.G. Márquez, J.R.R. Tolkien, F.M. Dostojevskij, W. Shakespeare and many many more. I also love some of our Slovak writers, mainly those from the more contemporary era. Lately I am very into postmodern writings and I want to study the electronic literature more.

I`m looking forward to your comments and it would be great if you wrote who are your favorite authors and literary works. Thanks,

Petra

2 comments:

  1. My favorite author is David Levithan, and some works by him that I love are The Realm of Possibility, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, and The Lover's Dictionary. He handles gender roles and sexual identity, two subjects I love to write about myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I have not read anything by this author yet, but it definitely sounds interesting. I will check his books out.:)

    ReplyDelete