Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Hello everyone,

my name is Petra Mórová and I am studying Teaching English language and literature in a combination with Teaching German lang. and lit. at Comenius University.
Out of the two languages, English is definitely my stronger. I've had English since I was 7 which makes it... 17 years now (wow, I feel old now). Anyway, the major breakthrough came after quite a few years of learning - at high school. Although I wasn't sure about what I wanted to do with my life at that time (and I'm still quite undecided about it), I knew I really liked English and could imagine working with it professionally.
I love the sound of it (Slovak is too monotonous) and I'm especially enthusiastic about all kinds of "weird" accents and area specific words, such as in Scottish or Irish English. If you can think of any such words from where you come, go ahead and let me know some ;-)
To answer another question, English is very welcome and even demanded in all sorts of occupations in Slovakia. Lately, I've been thinking about my future employment. It's becoming a pressing issue now and I find myself in a bit of an existential crisis at the moment. If I could, I would probably join a research studying English language, because I find it so fascinating! However, that isn't too feasible. So I am toying with the idea of trying translation, since I love literature and working with language.
In addition, I'm still considering becoming a teacher, but I haven't had much practice so far and my other problem is that I don't think of myself as the right kind of person for that. I was told that I speak too quietly and don't seem very self-conscious, but that, on the other hand, I am very nice (some say perhaps too nice). With these personal traits, I'm simply not sure students would respect me. So my question to you is: Do you agree that there is a set of qualities a teacher should have like I repeatedly read in education books? Or is it irrelevant in case he/she can establish a functioning relationship with his/her students and teach them well? Don't be afraid to express your honest opinions, I won't get upset :)
To very concisely mention yet another point, my family and friends have luckily always supported me in my decisions and had faith in me, even when I myself sometimes don't.
That's all for now. Feel free to comment if you like and have a great day.

3 comments:

  1. Aloha, Petra,

    You commented on mine, so I thought that I would return the favor. I love the English language, too. I particularly love accents from the UK, well, basically any non-american accent. Irish is a personal favorite.

    I come from a different part of the country than most of the students in my class. I am from the North(east), like New York City. I only lived a few hours from that actually, though in another state. I have a slight accent from it, but my mother insisted that I articulated and spoke properly. That really fed the fire to be as eloquent as possible.

    I am at a point where I am still unsure what I want to do with my career. The Head of our degree suggested that more people wanted English majors because they could understand complex and odd characters so they then would be able to understand and manage "odd characters" at work. I thought this was hilarious, but I think it is true.

    I think you would be a great teacher! Being as unsure as you are, would only make you better. You will always be aware of how you are and, I promise, it will get easier. You'll find students who hate literature (they're the crazy ones) and you'll find kids who were exactly like you as child. You'll watch them grow and it will all be worth it. Promise.

    Your English is beautiful. Thank you for representing my language properly. I really appreciate it. :]

    Rae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Petra! First off, I have to say how excited I am to be reading all of these postings - It's like a new age pen-pal.:)
    I am actually an English Education major, so I thought it would be relavant for me to respond to your posting since you seem to be conflicted about your career choice.
    Think about all of the different teachers that you have had - Did they all have a similar personality? I know mine didn't... some were super organized, some all over the place. Some were loud and outspoken, some were quiet and kind.
    Here's the thing - I think all kinds of personalities make up our teachers. There are certain fields (mass communication comes to mind) where I feel like a certain "type" of person best fits the profile - e.g. someone extremely outgoing, quick on their feet, etc.
    Teaching, however, is an occupation that only requires one thing: PASSION. If you love nothing more than to watch something grow, especially something that you have invested in so deeply, then you were meant to be a teacher. If you can wake up every day and realize that the hard work you do and the little pay you receive is all worth it, then you were meant to be a teacher.
    I'm thrilled to have the oppurtunity to chat with you guys, and can't wait to talk further!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Petra!

    I really enjoyed reading your post! I felt like I was reading about a lot of the questions that I have posed to myself. I've always wanted to be a teacher - every since I was like 4 or 5 years old, but much like you, I've been plagued with the idea that I might not be able to manage a classroom or that my students wouldn't respect me. I'm taking a class right now that is called Teaching Lit to Adolescents and my professor has really helped me to see that the qualities that make up a good teacher are not always what we stereotype them to be.

    I think, at least in the United States, that the teaching profession is looked at as an easy road to Summer Vacations and lots of time off. Being a teacher should be based on a passion for inspiring a love for learning and a love and care for your students. Reading your above post - I would definitely say you have the heart of a teacher and will make a wonderful teacher!

    Follow your dreams,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete