Sunday, September 18, 2011

Salutation!

I am one of the many Rachel's in the class, Rachel M. or Rae, will suffice as a name.

Entertaining a career in English was never really a pursuit as you cannot chase something that isn't running. I have always had my hopes of becoming a novelist to steer me in this direction. Although there were times I thought of doing something else, I knew that the only dream I have ever had was to be a author. I wanted to write books, and my current pursuit is to be akin to J.K. Rowling. The mad genius behind Harry Potter.

My parents don't exactly approve of the idea of me becoming an author and being in a family of highly successful parents (My Father is practically a Doctor and My Mom was a Vice President and in the top 1% of a Fortune 500 company with awards to boot) becoming an author was always a hobby in their eyes.
"Well, look at what's-his-face from the news! He's a T.V anchor and he wrote a book. You could always do that, not so much the new anchor, but writing could be a side project." My Father would start, only to be followed by, "You really ought to find a real career. Writing isn't going to pay the bills."
Then, my Mother would chime in with: "You would be a fantastic Ambassador, or a Journalist! There, Darling, be a journalist. You can still write."
A life chained to he said/ she said seemed droll and pointless to me. My mind was a racing roller coaster of Dragons, Zombies, Magicians, Elves, Vampires, and Romantic Comedies. Reporting the daily news sounded dun. With many days walking in the mires of a real career my mother became very ill and wanted very much to hear my stories. So, I began to read them to her and then with a bloom of hope in her eyes, she finally jumped of the bandwagon. When I too had fallen ill and could not return to college, she offered to house me on the condition that I wrote feverishly everyday -like it were my job. It was a pleasant surprise to have her believe in me finally, and now that I am well enough to continue my degree, she's enthralled to hear the next installment of whatever I am working on at the time.

I vehemently believe that there is a serious downward spiral of literacy in the United States. It pains me so that readers have become lazy and the writing style has reflected that. I feel much pain when I have to correct the grammar of educated adults, when I know mine is far from perfect. The books that I read today are sickening, and a few have really stood out from the rest. I think that books are changing market, moving slowly into a digital shift. I have noticed that the population doesn't really read books anymore, no, they wait for the movie to come out. This hurts me. The time and effort I have put into book seems cheap compared to what people have done to books lately. I sorely miss the majestic and mysterious beauty of Shakespearean plays and the fright of a E.A.Poe short.  I hope that literature makes a comeback. It's such a beautiful art that it may very well destroy the fabric of humanity if it dies.

On a lighter note, I haven't quite decided what I want to do once I graduate from College. I know I want to write books, but like books, I want to bring back the classic of Old Hollywood Cinema, as well. I love books, but I also enjoy other mediums. I hope to write a play, a movie, a graphic novel, and many, many books. Until then, I suppose I will be living in someone's attic, eating cheap noodles and waiting the day for a book to be finished. Hardly worth wild, but a dream, nonetheless.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel,

    I am Petra, one of the Slovak students. I really like your post because it is very personal and touching. I also love J.K. Rowling and Elves, Vampires and other supernatural creatures. If you ever write a book please let me know, I would definitely read it!
    What you wrote about literacy in the USA and about the shift towards digital media is also true in Slovakia, I am afraid. In every international survey on reading literacy we end up somewhere at the bottom of the charts. I have been wondering why for quite some time now and the only answer I came up with is this digital age we live in. I think that kids are becoming more and more used to not reading words, but whole chunks of sensory input consisting of written word, pictures, images, videos, sounds... They are perfectly able to read instant messages, but cannot focus on longer written text. It is as if their attention span got much shorter. On one hand I find it kind of great to be able to observe all these changes (and the change itself is fascinating), but on the other I am really worried about the impact it will have on literature and culture as we know it (and like it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thank you. I have another supporter! Awesome.
    I also work with disabled children so this shift of digital things is a double-edges sword for me. After the invention of the iPAD, Autistic children have really be able to grasp learning on a level never seen before. I love being about to see this progress, but I also weep for non-disabled persons. I find it very irksome that in our culture, the educated and and smart are deemed dorks, nerds, dweebs and are made fun of religiously. Children are exposed to this and idolize the characters who make poor marks as heroes. This really bothers me. I am very much a "nerd". I watch Sci-Fi and Fantasy daily and I know my way around video games. I can also speak and write English better than the better part of the population. I have a German Friend who spoke beautiful English, only knew it for 10 years, and could out wit people of the native tongue. This disheartens me.

    Thank you for replying. I would love to continue a conversation. I'm curious. Do you find yourself reading books in your native language or have you transitioned to English? Which language did you read Harry Potter in?


    Rae

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rae,

    I did not know that the iPAD can help Autistic children like that - it`s awesome! But still true - digital things have both pros and cons... I cannot make my mind about it.
    Oh, and I so love Sci-Fi and Fantasy! Unfortunately, I do not have enough time for such reading now, but returning to the world of LOTR is always the best escape from reality.
    To answer your questions - I read Harry in Slovak (my mothertongue), because when the first books came out my English was not good enough. And then I wanted to have all 7 books from the same edition (yes, I am that kind of a reader:D). But I am definitely planning on reading them all again in English (it will be the eight time).
    Now that my proficiency level is good enough I read all the books by British and American authors in the original. I guess that only when you read in original language you are able to grasp the literary work and its meaning properly. Sometimes, every word has it specific place and particular purpose.
    And just so you know, I think that you replied to a post by my schoolmate, the other Petra in our class (my post is older). But we can continue here:).

    Petra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel,

    I just want to say: Don't give up! How come a professional writer is not a real career? I don't get it. Actually, it's one of the best jobs ever :). I'm pleased to see that so many of you guys here love literature. I'm also a biiiiiiiiig fan of vampire novels and video games. Nerds unite! :)

    Adriana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there Rae,
    thanks for commenting on my post ages ago, thinking I was the other, "above" Petra, my college "colleague". Anyway, thanks a lot, it was very encouraging and I appreciate it.
    I'm a big fan of literature and a keen reader, too. Just like you, it bothers me that people nowadays don't read too much anymore, which is then reflected in their terrible spelling. Another thing which makes me indignant is book covers. According to me, it's an aspect that can increase the overall value and enjoyment of reading, as well. Books are, after all, works of art, and so should their covers suggest. That's why it saddens me when I want to buy a book, and there, on the cover, can be seen a picture of the film based on it. Of course, it's for promoting purposes, I understand that, but somehow it doesn't make me feel better for it.
    Anyway, I keep my fingers crossed for you and your career. I'm sure you have it in you to become a "full-time" writer. Your post read very well :)

    ReplyDelete