Sunday, September 18, 2011

Hello, my name is Tm

I'm glad to be talking to everyone here on this inter-class blog. I am a new student here at Kennesaw State. I first started college in another part of the country ten years ago. I stopped going to school because I had nothing to make me strive for success. Now that I am married and a father I feel that I am ready to complete the journey that I started years ago.

I found my way into this field quite by chance. I always thought that making a living doing what you wanted to do was impossible but fortunately for me I happen to enjoy reading, writing and talking about both of those things.

I love almost all kinds of music. If feel that a song is either pure and genuine or lacking pretension then I can appreciate it. I was angrily tapping away at my typewriter one night - regretting that I had never learned to play an instrument - when it struck me. I am a talented player of the electronic smith corona typesetter, in fact I have mastered the manual coronet typewriter, the pen, and the unsatisfying keys of the computer keyboard as well. Ever since I came to terms with the fact that words are my notes. I have found a lot more peace in my life.

I want to teach english to younger generations, because a passionate teacher can influence lives greatly. A teacher who is dedicated enough to literature and writing can show people that there is nothing wrong with being bookish, literate or obsessed with knowledge.

I think that my country would be better off if we could somehow bring back some sort of formality. People here think that you is spelled "u", and that reading is somehow dumb. They wear sandals and baseball caps into nice restaurants. And they swear in front of children and the elderly. I think that knowing how hard it is to write a sonnet, or understanding some of the brilliant things that were written hundreds of years ago might make at least a few people realize how silly they look when they act this way.

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Hello Tim,
    I'm Jan from Slovakia. I like what you wrote about those sandals and baseball caps...
    And don't be sad. The same thing is happening here in Slovakia. I can see in at the school where I work as a substitute teacher of English language. This superficiality of our era. Only thing that matters is if you have that latest "iWHATEVER" etc. Just when you are walking down the street. There are tons of useless information, advertisements that are attacking your senses. Than it is no wonder that people can't appreciate reading. Most of them aren't able to even concentrate on such a thing... And with children it is more difficult. To be able to show them, that THIS (reading, or some book, that may give them something valuable) is it...

    I would like to ask you, have you thought about some "strategy" how to do this with children?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tim!

    My name's Michaela(Slovakia).I strongly agree with your sentence:"because a passionate teacher can influence lives greatly."
    Thanks to "passionate teachers" I decided to be a teacher. They influenced my life and attitudes too. My desire is to share not only knowledge, but also some values which can help my future students to make their lives fuller.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tim,

    Your story is interesting and I appreciate that you are ready to study and you found your field after you became a father:)I like what you write about the books and young genereation and I wish you best of luck at your journey.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete