Saturday, September 17, 2011

Hi everyone!

Hi everyone,

My name is Carolyn and I'm an English major at Kennesaw State University. I think it's going to be really interesting to be able to talk to everyone on here this semester. I decided to become and English major because I love to read and I love to write, and it's the only thing that I can see myself pursuing in college. For awhile I considered doing English Education because eventually I want to become an English professor, but English Education is geared more toward teaching high school, and that isn't something I could see myself doing. When I was in high school, none of the students in my English and literature classes took the courses seriously and didn't seem to be interested. I figure that in college, though, most people are interested in what the teacher has to say, so I would definitely enjoy that more.
My parents weren't surprised when I told them that I'm majoring in English, and I don't think that they could imagine me doing anything else, either. My mother always encouraged me to read when I was younger, and she's the one got me into writing as well. A lot of people say that the only thing that you can do here with an English degree is teach, but my parents have always reassured me that this isn't the truth. Even though I eventually want to teach at a college or university, I want to look into every other opportunity that is available to me in writing. My parents encouraged in to write as an intern for an online magazine, and I love it.
I think that the perspectives of literature has definitely changed recently here, and it has been for the worse. The majority of people don't appreciate literacy and literature as much it used to be appreciated (or, at least as much as I appreciate it). I would love for an aspect of my career to involve promoting literacy and literature, and to show people why it is so important. I suppose the reason that I'm so against teaching high school is because so many students are opposed to reading. I would love to acquire the patience one day to be able to teach that age group and try to change their minds.
I'm taking a Careers in Writing class this semester and I've realized that with internships and persistence an English major can get just about any job they wish. The head of the English department here at KSU told us that employers typically hire English majors because they know that if we can understand all of the complicated characters in the literature we read, we will be able to get along with and understand all of the people who we work with. I really liked this idea.
I look forward to hearing from everyone throughout the semester!

Carolyn Buonomo

No comments:

Post a Comment