Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Introduction!

Hello,

My name is Angela White and I’m in my third year at Kennesaw State University. I am currently studying Secondary English Education, with many end goals. Before I was an English Ed. major, I was a psychology major. Psychology is something I am still very interested in but realized it is not something I want to make a career out of. I knew that I wanted to work in the school system, even when I was a psych major, so that’s why I chose English Ed. I love reading and even though writing is not one of my strong points, I still love it. I am very passionate about teaching and look forward to expanding the minds of the generations that follow us.

When I told my dad that I wanted to switch my major, he was completely on board. He let me know that as long as it is something that makes me happy, he will support me. This was a very huge decision for me because I had already taken a good bit of psychology classes. It helped to know that my dad would support me with whatever I decided.

I have very many goals in the teaching field. I’m not sure if every goal is particularly obtainable, but they are all things that I am considering. One option that I am thinking about doing is joining the Peace Corps. (http://www.peacecorps.gov/). This is an idea that I have been juggling for quite a while now, but I haven’t decided if it is the right choice for me. If I were to go into the Peace Corps I would go to a different country and teach for about 2 years. It is a very big commitment, but I know it is something that I will greatly benefit from. Whether or not I join the Peace Corps, I know I want to go to grad school. With this plan, I will teach in a school for about 2 years before going back to school. Another option I am thinking about is, after getting my masters, teaching at a community college. The college atmosphere is something that I truly enjoy and I would like to work with students in this age group. Also, if the option were to present itself, I would like to teach abroad somewhere. This is something that I think I could obtain if I joined the Peace Corps; it’s just a thought though.

I think that right now, it is so hard to get the kids in this country to realize what literature actually is. When teaching, I really want to put an emphasis on modern day literature, to help better relate to them. I am a devoted fan to opening up a fresh book, smelling the pages of that book and diving right into the story that I’m reading but I know that not everyone feels that way. I want to open up people’s mind to all different varieties of literature.

I look forward to blogging with you and getting to know all of the different perspectives of everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Angela,

    I study the combination English-Psychology and I completely understand you wanted to switch your major. Psychology is interesting, but I don't like the way it is taught at my school's Psychology department. Fortunatelly, I have only one more year and a half and school is over :).
    I also like that you mentioned opening a fresh book...there's nothing more awesome however it's the same here in Slovakia that not so many people, especially teenagers, like to read which is a shame. I would do the same thing you proposed - show people that books are not always boring!

    Best regards,
    Adriana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angela,
    I see that you are pretty into books(= Keep it up!
    I like your goal - teaching in a foreign country - it is very inspiring, I have a similar objective too, I want to go to Japan and teach there for a while and I want to/ have to manage it in this life,I was procrastinating long enough. Now it is time to fulfill my dreams. What genre of literature do you like? What are your favourite books and music?(=
    Filip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Angela,

    I feel from what you have written, that you are very strong woman. Because you had to change your combination. I did something similar and it was very difficult. But at the end I knew it was worth it. The whole life is full of changes and according to my opinion we make them easier if there is somebody who will support you.
    So fingers cross in your futher plans for future.

    Janka

    ReplyDelete